Fish Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Setting up a 29 Gallon freshwater, and was looking to put in two pairs of dwarf cockatoo cichlids, which my LFS told would work as long as it had enough hiding places, and wanted to fill up the tank with some dither fish. Cardinal tetras are a personal favorite of mine, as are glow-light and serpae tetras. Any suggestions as to what would go well with the cichlids and how many would fit with them would be much appreciated. :D Thanks!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I would just keep it with the cichlids if you are going to have two breeding pairs because they will most likely become aggresive when they have eggs maybe you can get some tpe of bottom feeder

·
Darth Plecostamus
196 Posts
I think you would be ok to put a bristlenose in that setup. They stay small (all mine are 4" or smaller) and are the most efficient at algae control of all the plecos I have/had. They also haven't bothered any of my cichlads eggs. The cichlads don't even chase them off. I think they don't see them as a threat. As far as dithers you get a small school of something small. Neon tetra sized but beware if they can fit in the cichlads mouth they will be dinner. I would try it with just the cichlads first. Having 4 you shouldn't need dithers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, I'm thinking of putting in an albino BN pleco and then as things progress I might add a small school of cardinal tetras or rummynose tetras.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the plan so far is to have one pair of cockatoo cichlids, hopefully breeding, 12 or so cardinal tetras, an albino bushynose pleco, and i was thinking of adding an upper level swimmer like some dwarf gouramis. As you can tell, I like colorful fish, and any suggestions towards fish and how many of them would be greatly appreciated along with comments about the overall plan. Much thanks! :)

·
Freshwater Fanatic
208 Posts
Cockatoos are gorgeous! I had planned almost the EXACT same setup you have, but then my fish suppler stopped carrying them :( I would love to see photos once everything is set up!!!!!!

Although, I don't think the gouramis are the best idea, however, this is just news from the grapevine and have never tried it myself. Best of luck to you.

·
Darth Plecostamus
196 Posts
I like the rummynose but like I said they could become dinner. Depending on your filter setup, 4 cockatoo, a bristle and 7-8 small fish will probably your max. Some may disagree but regular water changes and a good filter make all the difference.

·
King of the Bettas
2,951 Posts
I can't decide either what to put in my tank...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts