Fish Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I aI need help with my betta!

Lately he's becoming less active, and actually sitting on the bottom of the tank. He still has all his coloration, and swims to the top for air when he needs it, but sinks back down and sits on the bottom again.

He used to be real active, and come up to the glass when I would put my face near it. But lately he's just being lazy. He still has all his coloration

He lives in a 10 gallon filtered and heated tank, all by himself. And while I realize it may just be old age (after all he is just over 3 years old). I just wanted to ask if there is any type of ailment this could be
(the wife and I are quite attached to him, and don't want to lose him).

I was thinking it may be over-feeding, as the direcitons on the 'betta bites' says 3-4 pellets daily, and while reasearching this problem I've seen sites say 1-2 pellets every other day.

HELP!! Please??poligize for duplicate posts, but I'm distraught... I posted this in the Betta forum as wel[/fade]

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd say it's just old age. Feeding him everyday is fine. When I got my first betta, I picked up an info sheet from the same pet store. It said to feed it a couple of pellets two or three times a week!! I disagreed with this, and feed all of mine everyday. Keep an eye on him though, to make sure it's not a disease, and just keep his water clean to keep him happy. And I understand you're attachment.

G

·
I sometimes put a mirror next to my tanks for my bettas that look sad..it makes them all happy..do leave the mirror there just put it there for a few min every day...mine seem to love it. it puffs them right up...lol

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've had bettas in docile community tanks in the past. I always liked that - they seem more active with some tank mates.

Maybe some neon tetras in there would be nice. Make sure nothing that would nip fins.

roz.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
perhaps since he is an oldtimer you will want to keep the water less deep so he does not have as far to swim. also I would consider putting a piece of a nylon over the intake tube to the filter( if you have that kind) so that he does not get blown about the tank as much or feel such a current.
I have always believed my bettas like the community tank but as they get older and they have to use more energy to get to the top I slow down the current for them as well as make the water more shallow.
In fact I have just removed my one male from a tank that has a mighty powerful fluval filter as he is getting too thin struggling in the current. He seems to be gaining a bit of weight now and his tail is getting longer-- the SAE fish were nibbling his tail when he was trying to sleep.
The females do better in the community tanks as they don't have the tail issues.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice (I'm so glad I found this forum)

Unfortunately I cannot reduce the water level too much, as I do have a filter with an intake valve.

Perhaps I can look into a tank that is a little shallower, to assist him.

·
Registered
229 Posts
This is a little late, but the idea just struck me.
You could probably put him in one of those 2 gallon tanks, and fill it halfway. Then get a 'disposable' filter, that hooks up to air pumps... they have suction cups, so you could put it horizontal instead of vertical... well, maybe diagonal - I think the air has to go -up- through the carbon. But anyhoo... you could still filter, while keeping the water relatively low!
Here's the filter I use in my betta tank, and I'm gonna slant it a bit when he gets older, so I can lower the water level.
Hope that helps!

http://www.petco.com/product_info.a...1062&c3=&ct1=Filters&ct2=Sponge+&+Corner&ct3=

·
Registered
372 Posts
It doesn't seem like a good idea (IMO) to place a Betta, which is in a 10 gallon, into a 2-gallon bowl. This would leave the water pretty unstable, when compared to an already cycled 10 gallon (I'm assuming it is cycled).

3 years might be old depending on how this fish was bred, and what conditions he was in before you got him, but for me, that is pretty middle aged. It is hard to say if this is old age in the true sense of the word.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Oh, I didn't move him right into new water. I used about 1 and half gallons from my 10, and then put new (treated, of course) water for the rest of the half gallon. And then filled the 10 gallon with new water as if it was a water change...everybody seems to be okay. (in fact, my betta survived, when everybody else died a week later from Ich!)

·
Registered
51 Posts
My betta just had this same problem. It started a bit over a month ago. He died last week. :cry: I don't know if it was old age or what though i had a temporary temperature problem. I hope yours pulls through.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so far so good. He seems to be getting more active lately, I have been starting to feed him the frozne brine shrimp every so often for 'variety' rather than the betta bites.

The tank was cycled fully, quite a while ago, and I've been keeping up with tests and water changes.

I'm just happy he's doing better

1 - 12 of 12 Posts