Fish Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Ronnie and I am a total newbie thinkin on getting a tank.
So far I have read as much as possible and I am thinking to start with some betas in a 40 gal tank with some tetras, swordtails and I really want at least one cory catfish.

I was thinking getting a freshwater tank with 3 or 4 tetras, 3 or 4 swordtails and 2 catfishes (so max 10 fish).

Are those numbers okay? Or should I get a bigger thank?

I was reading that the minimum is to have 1 inch of fish for 1 or 2 gallons of water, but I am trying to give them way more space (more is always better) so I can put pretty decorations inside too and they will still have enough space (don't worry, I don't plan to fill the tank with deco stuff ! hehehe
but I would like to put little hideouts and things like that).

I am happy to be here and learn <3

·
Super Moderator
8,473 Posts
Welcome to Fishforums Ronnie. if you plan on keeping several bettas in 1 tank they had best be all females as the males do fight.A 40 gallon tank is plenty big enough for a bunch of smaller fish. tetras are schooling fish and cories like to be in groups of 6 or more as well. tetras will sometimes nip at fins of other fishes ; after all they are cousins of Piranhas.
Join your local aquarium society or fish club.great places to learn and also to get fish and supplies.
This is a great hobby.I started with a 10 gallon tank.within 2 years I had more than 150 of them and thousands of fish. I started in 1973.I am now 76 years old and my health has made it too hard to keep fish anymore but I am still involved in the hobby .I sell tropical fish food. far less demanding.
Again , welcome to Fishforums ; come on in , the water's great.

• Love
Reactions: Woodieroonie

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to Fishforums Ronnie. if you plan on keeping several bettas in 1 tank they had best be all females as the males do fight.A 40 gallon tank is plenty big enough for a bunch of smaller fish. tetras are schooling fish and cories like to be in groups of 6 or more as well. tetras will sometimes nip at fins of other fishes ; after all they are cousins of Piranhas.
Join your local aquarium society or fish club.great places to learn and also to get fish and supplies.
This is a great hobby.I started with a 10 gallon tank.within 2 years I had more than 150 of them and thousands of fish. I started in 1973.I am now 76 years old and my health has made it too hard to keep fish anymore but I am still involved in the hobby .I sell tropical fish food. far less demanding.
Again , welcome to Fishforums ; come on in , the water's great.
aww thank you for the awesome advice, and I will look for my local groups for sure.
I also didn't know that tetras were cousins of piranhas :O WOW... okay ,I will follow your advice and definitely plan this better. Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Ronnie, how are you doing?
Hi Robby,

I'm little bit tired really :), I recently am just finishing a teeny tiny moving from west to east coast so it's been a lot lately :ROFLMAO:. This was totally an anticipated event (at least for this year) but it's good that it's over now, I mean the moving had been in my plans for a while now but I had in my mind as "somewhere in the fuuuture it will happen"........ I guess it's one of those things where you plan something and the timeline is anywhere you thought it was gonna be but at the end you are happy that happened that way.

Anyways, before I start rambling... yeah.... this has made my little tank project to be sitting on the sidelines for a while. Once I'm done settling I'll get back to it ;)

Thanks for asking, how are you?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.