Fish Forums banner

How do I rid Java Moss of Snails and Snail eggs?!?!

13K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Jake 
#1 ·
I have alot of java moss in the corner of my 29g tank. I want to take about half out and add it to my new 10g fry tank I set up. But i dont want to worry about snails in it at all, I HATE SNAILS!! They are a PITA!! I dont like taking 20,30,40 min to pick them out when i clean the tanks. So if i could make sure no snails get in this tank, thats one less tank I have to worry about and about 45min-1hr I save on cleaning day

I have heard about 3-4% bleach and 96-97% Water, keep it in there for about 30-60 sec or a little more. Then rinse and soak in a bucket of dechlorinated water for 5-10 min. But I have also read/heard that this could kill the java moss!!! Is this true or no?? how many ppl have successfully done this?? Is there another way to insure no snails or snail eggs are in the moss when I put it in the new tank??

Thanks for any/all help !!

#3 ·
Either remove it and rinse thoroughly under warm water, or let is soak in saltwater for an hour. Rinse again.

#7 ·
thats for the help everyone, I will try the bleach solution, if that doesnt work i will try again with the ALUM solution. Thanks!!! and yes I have ALOT of snails in my tanks. Not sure how they got there but i wish they would all just disappear!!! LOL. thanks again!!..

#8 ·
I have to ask for "trash snails" to feed Puffers. Java Moss in a brackish tank with a Spotted or Figure 8 Puffer? ..forgitaboutit.. Maybe consider the over all "value" of having one of these "E.T. looking little Teddy Bears" around to dip the Java Moss in his tank for a couple of days.

#10 ·
IF you want to do it the natural way, without chemicals try removing the largest snals first (these will be your major egg layers). The following week remove your next size smaller. The following week the next size and so forth and so on. In a month you will see a drastic change in your snail population.

Have no fear, the plantman cometh....................

#11 ·
IF you want to do it the natural way, without chemicals try removing the largest snals first (these will be your major egg layers). The following week remove your next size smaller. The following week the next size and so forth and so on. In a month you will see a drastic change in your snail population.

Have no fear, the plantman cometh....................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.