Fish Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My water comes out of the tap at less than 6.0, not sure how low, my test kit only goes down to 6.0.

Is there an safe way to increase the pH without using chemicals? I don't like dosing my tank, unless absolutely neccessary.

-HollywoodBob

·
Registered
21 Posts
sure, argonite (crushed coral) as the substrate, or inside of the filters
limestone
eco complete substrate
shells
pieces of coral
a variety of other types of buffering substrates and rocks

dont know if you consider baking soda a chemical, but it raises ph to 8 very nicely, if you overdose it wont go higher than 8.5, very fish safe btw.

·
Registered
496 Posts
How certain are you about the tap pH? Often there are discolved gasses in tap water that effect the Ph until they are out-gassed. I suggest you do the following test to verify the pH. Fill a large glass with tap water. Put an airstone in the glass and let it bubble for an hour, then test the pH of the water in the glass. This will insure you are getting an accurate reading.

·
Registered
14,961 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How certain are you about the tap pH? Often there are discolved gasses in tap water that effect the Ph until they are out-gassed. I suggest you do the following test to verify the pH. Fill a large glass with tap water. Put an airstone in the glass and let it bubble for an hour, then test the pH of the water in the glass. This will insure you are getting an accurate reading.
Well the water in my tap is at 6.0, and the water in my tank is at 6.2 after several days, so I wouldn't think I'm that far off.

Scuba Steve said I could add baking soda, but 8.0/8.5 seems a bit high. I've only got goldfish, but shouldn't they be between 6.5 and 7.5?

How much baking soda would be good for a 10 gallon, and would it last long enough to get a decoration/substrate that would help?

-HollywoodBob

·
Registered
14,961 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you put a piece of marble or limestone into your tank as a decoration, the pH will rise as the rock/s slowly dissolve. With a pH of 6.0 or lower coming out of your tap it's a wonder you're not having problems with the pipes bringing the water to the house too. All local water companies I have ever heard of, try and get the water around 7.0 pH to avoid problems within the pipes.

Ken

·
Registered
40 Posts
sure, argonite (crushed coral) as the substrate, or inside of the filters
limestone
eco complete substrate
shells
pieces of coral
a variety of other types of buffering substrates and rocks

dont know if you consider baking soda a chemical, but it raises ph to 8 very nicely, if you overdose it wont go higher than 8.5, very fish safe btw.

How much Baking Soda are we talking here??

1 tea spoon, 2 tea spoons etc..??

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts