Fish Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

I need help!! I have a pond full of fish (100's). I put in about 20 different fish (goldfish, coi and Shubunkins) does anyone know if they can interbreed? Do I now have a medly of mongrel fish??!!

Thanks!

·
Loach Lover
1,506 Posts
If you heard about guppies and mollies breeding, then someone told you wrong. It doesn't happen often. Yes, it's possible, but not viable. A female molly can possibly have guppy babies, (a guppy can have molly babies but they usually die in frybirth) but if they're not deformed, stunted, or stillborn, they're still sterile. And they usually don't even live long enough to tell that, either.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
BTW Koi are not goldfish.

People breed different species of goldfish all the time to get certain desired traits and new breeds of goldfish. Goldfish are the same species, just different breeds. Its just like breeding dogs.

·
Registered
743 Posts
If you heard about guppies and mollies breeding, then someone told you wrong. It doesn't happen often. Yes, it's possible, but not viable. A female molly can possibly have guppy babies, (a guppy can have molly babies but they usually die in frybirth) but if they're not deformed, stunted, or stillborn, they're still sterile. And they usually don't even live long enough to tell that, either.
None the less it does happen and some fish do make it too adult hood. Its probably not the best example. Swordtail and platy hybrids on the other hand are easy to produce, common, and viable.

·
Registered
921 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.