Fish Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have had some bad attempts at spawning plent y of action but the eggs always got eaten,. well my old male died so i bought a new stunning pink and blue male!! he made a bubble nest within twenty four hours and spawned in a day he has since been turning his eggs repairing the nest and giving me great hope for some babies finally!!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Be prepared for disappointment also, sorry.

It can be hard work feeding and keeping them after the 'free swimming' stage.

Try and culture some Microworm, this is the best food for them and Baby brineshrimp.

I wish you all the luck, there is nothing better than watching your hard work pay off and some stunning colours coming out of your brood.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Hard boiled eggs yolk work as a first food, but they are very easy to over feed and can pollute a tank fast. I like VE as a first food, but raise most of my spawns on BBS as a first food because they are the easiest food to culture. I keep 2 VE cultures going for lines that throw smaller fry like Melanos.

RC

RC

·
Registered
14,961 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
I have found Melanos can be very slow growers, but at 6 months you should have adult size fish. I can normally breed fish at 3-4 months, but with melano I normally plan on 6 months. I have 3 spawns from from my double blacks and they all seem to grow at a normal rate.

RC

·
Registered
34 Posts
any food will do it but i uses yolk because i raises game bird and pigeon. All you have is all the food. No need to buy any other food unless you want them trained.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts