The Plant Master
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, it seems customary to tell you what I have:
20 gallon, planted, 15W purplish bulb that came with it
5 Brilliant Raspora
3 Marigold Wag Swordtails
2 Amano shrimp

The swords are the ones in question. The females seem constantly pregnant, which is expected, but I NEVER see any fry! I just assume they're aborted for some reason, or, more likely, eaten about .28 seconds after they're born by the parents or other omnivores in there.
This morning I woke up as soon as the light came on (coincidence) and went and just watched the tank for a while. All of a sudden I noticed one of the females was huge and looked like she wanted to escape through the glass. Odd. So I watched her, and then I saw this little whitish thing zoom away and up to the surface and then out to the middle... and then eaten by a Raspbora. Obviously I was super pumped anyway. I took her out and put her in a bowl for an hour and came back later to seven little fry swimming around. She probably ate some. I just want to breed a few for fun to say I have.

Anyway- So, I put her back in and left the little guys in the bowl. I put them in a recently emptied betta tank (2.5 gal, planted, well established but I am not sure of it's real health... I never liked the way it was laid out...). But so they're on their own in there. I turned off the filter because I didn't want them to get sucked into it. I was just wondering if this was a good or bad thing to do. Obviously I can't put them back in the big tank because they'd get eaten in a second. What the hell do you feed a fish that has a mouth the size of a needle point?!?!

So yeah, whatever stories, tales or advice you've got I'd love to hear it all!
Thanks!

BTW I love this forum. Such a great gathering of enthusiasts. It had a lot to do with me retaining my confidence and interest in tanks, and now I know a lot! :)

·
Registered
522 Posts
my first time i had baby guppies,my cousin gave me his old breeder trap.Right when i got home,i put my female guppy in the trap.I turned around for a second,looked back,and there was already baby fish there!but sadly,my goldfish knoked over he breeder trap and ate them all.R.I.P 16 baby guppies :(

·
Registered
543 Posts
Go to your LFS and they will have most likly fry food if not my buddie would feed his babies crushed up flakes, me personally if i can get my rams or angels to breed when they get older i will try to feed them beef heart and baby brine shrimp, but I'm not a breeder so my answer probally aint the best answer.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I bought a 10 gallon tank and my gf's little brother had a HUGE fake plant that i just floated in the tank and it probably took up like 3/5 of the tank and I put my preggers rainbow platy in there and she gave birth to about 35-50 fry and she probably ate a few but i came home saw all the fry and she looked empty so i scooped her out.
I think she is pregnant again Im not to sure because so far only 1 platy has been pregnant in my tank of 7 months. I have between 25-35 babies now they are hard to count and they are about 1 and a half months.
I fed them bbs for a little while but i had problems hatching the brine shrimp they would only live for like 4 days and i was wasting them so im waiting till i have bigger apartment next year to use a different set up. I also feed them crushed flakes.
I plan on keeping my favorites to breed again and either sell or trade them to my lfs. If they wont buy or trade i will probably find friends to give them too.

·
Darth Plecostamus
196 Posts
I always fed my guppy fry decapsulised brine shrimp eggs

·
Super Moderator
8,455 Posts
there are all kinds of fry foods on the market..some better than others ; but basically easy to get..your LFS should have at least 3-4 kinds..
decapped brine eggs are very good.i have 4 or 5 kinds that i use and sell as well...most are out of most hobbyists price range..would not make sense to spend $8 or $15 for an ounce of fry food for a couple of guppies or platies...

·
The Plant Master
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
just based on the title of your post since i didn't read any of the post itself id say you need to talk to your parents and get the ol' birds and the bees speach.
Hahaha... My friend, I graduated with 9 pregnant girls. Sex ed is like a complementary degree.

They're all still alive, so I assume I'm doing something right. They have the little poop strings, so I also assume they're eating. I don't feel like dropping 15 bucks on a breeder net so they're gonna chill in that tank till they're bigger. I keep turning on the filter for a while and hoping they don't get sucked up... life is tough for a baby fish.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Just put a nylon over the intake of the filter (like panyhose) you pull it as tight as you can and stick it on with a rubberband. Then you can run the filter and they won't get sucked in. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts