Fish Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
bubbleguppy
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a pair of beautiful little platies when I had first started my 5 gallon tank, they stayed together for about a month, then the male suddenly died. About a month ( give or take) after his death, she gave birth to 6 little fry. Sadly, only three survived, but they are now very healthy happy fish, who seem to be at the brink of maturity.

Anyway, another month passed after (what I expect were her) first brood were born. My boyfriend and I noticed a few new faces in our tank on june 5th, so we got 15 fry out and gave them their own 5 gallon tank for now.

Since its getting close to another months passing, I was wondering if I should still be expecting more fry from momma platy? She's pretty fat, and she does have the dark spot on her belly, but being somewhat inexperienced I, nor my boyfriend can really tell when, or if she's about to drop, and id like to be more prepared this timr. I know they store sperm for up to seven months(?) But I don't know how often they can drop.

Thank you!

·
Freshwater Freak
369 Posts
Yes is generaly about a month between batches, but they can look fat permantly after they start breeding so she may not be pregnant, with the dark spot though sounds like you have a new batch due any time now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts