Fish Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after doing hours and hours of reading on pH adjustment, I've came to this conclusion: A freshwater community tank can adapt to my high pH. And they have, and do. I've had guppies, platy, harlequin now for months. Happy and lively. However, out of the 7 new guppies I've added in the last month, only one has survived, and I believe it's because of the pH shock from going to the pet store to my house.

Using an API kit, it reads =+7.6. I'd like to lower the pH, I've added numerous live plants (all still healthy) and 2 pieces of Mopani driftwood, but the pH will not drop.

I've tried using API pH down liquid, and it doesn't seem to work. I've also used Tetra Correct pH fizzy tablets, and they get it at an even 7.0, but it only lasts about a day or two (I've read up on why this happens).

I've learned fish can adapt to a high pH, just not a sudden, drastic pH change. So, if fish can adapt to a high pH, how do you add them to a tank without going through a huge change in pH of .6 or so?

· Super Moderator
8,476 Posts
you can also lower your PH by putting some peat moss in a section of pantyhose and placing it in your filter......it will also maintin the PH for quite awhile..
you can drip acclimate over an hour or 2 also.

· Registered
3,905 Posts
In terms of from store to your house- test the bag water for it's Ph and you will know what you are up against. Then do a drip acclimation so that the Ph is gradually changed from the store's Ph to the tanks Ph. If your store is using local water chances are then the Ph isn't all that different. Tanks do mature to around a 7.0-7.2 Ph on their own over time so it might be different, but I would check. Also some stores will use specialized water (i.e. RO water for soft water fish) in which acclimation to your tank would be an issue.

A drip acclimation will probably solve your problem.

Ph will drop from wood added to the tank- but that takes time. It won't happen over night, or even over a week or two. If you want to have the Ph lower before you add the guppies, then put the wood and/or peat moss in the tank- then wait 3-4 weeks before adding.

· Premium Member
12,536 Posts
7.6 is fine for guppies.

One method is to blend bottled water with tap water to match the store water in a little tank with a sponge filter. Do water changes of increasing percentage with tap until it matches.

However I really doubt pH is the problem. Test TDS or "conductivity" . PetCo is notorious for salting their FW systems. Dumping fish into less salty water is far more likely to be fatal than dumping them into higher pH water.

Because I think it is a salt issue you will need to drip acclimate very slowly or find a way to measure and match the store TDS.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great, I didn't know about the drip acclimation method. Previously when adding fish, I would only float the bag for 10-15 minutes...it just seems like this process of adjustment would take days of adjustment instead of an hour or so. I'll look into it anyway, thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.