Fish Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some species of tall plants. Around 12-16 inches tall when grown and something that would look good with the plastic variety packs u find at Walmart. It really does not matter I suppose as long as it is green. I'd prefer to stay away from thin strings type. I am slowly going to live plants. I have three small species started from seeds in a separate tank so that they don't get picked with while growing. Id like to order these plants in seed form, I'm in no rush. Thanks

·
Perfect Water - BÖC
2,819 Posts
Barters Anubias. It grows tall, it grows fast, and you can make cuttings of it for new plants! I love mine!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am thinking of adding live plants to my 40 gallon tank. What kind of gravel do i need..... can I just use the stones that are already there?

·
Perfect Water - BÖC
2,819 Posts
TigerBarb, if you want only a few live plants, generic aquarium gravel is fine. Otherwise, you'll need specialized plant substrate. I don't know much about other substrate though, so wait for someone more experienced with FW plants to guide you.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
for lower light plants try aponogeton crispus...a. ulvaceus...a. boivianus...a. madagascarensis....2-3 feet tall within 3 months..
amazon swords need more light but can get 3-4 feet tall...

a. boivianus at 4 weeks from bulb outside.....

other aponos at 3-4 weeks...

a. madagascarensis at 3 months..

·
Registered
33 Posts
the only plant that I have is a green ball (acts like a filter). I also have LED lights which I have been told will be ok for growing plants.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The plants I bought as bulbs say they are aponogeton, they are starting to grow good. I was also looking for different style plants, I went to liveaquaria.com and browse their plants, some caught my eye. Thanks for everyone's input so far.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
try www.aquabid.com if you want really awesome plants at a better price than you will ever see at liveaquaria..

·
Registered
33 Posts
sounds good I will check that out..... like fish is there the same rule as to the amount of plants your able to add at one time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts