1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
fishgeek
674 Posts
Any chance you know somebody with a picture-phone who can snap a pic at the LFS ?

·
fishgeek
674 Posts
I just did some websearching, and Pomacanthus sexstriatus was the most common fish I found refered to as 6-bar (which makes sense, seeing as how thats what sexstriatus means... six line or six bar...)
Fenner has this to say:
Is the heartbreak subgenus (of the genus Pomacanthus) of the family. Of the Six-Barred Angel, Pomacanthus Euxiphipops sexstriatus, Blue-Girdled or -Faced, Pomacanthus Euxiphipops xanthometopon, and Majestic, Pomacanthus Euxiphipops navarchus, none has historically had much of a success rate in aquariums. If you're going to throw your money at trying this sub genus, I strongly, suggest demanding that it be fed in your presence, placing a deposit on the animal, and leaving it for two weeks with the dealer. They are expensive, generally don't adapt at all, and usually refuse all foods.
from http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/fishes/angels/pomacanthus/Pomacanthus.htm

If it is a pomacanthid angel - they get BIG...

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmm...no i went through all them angel pics nothing I am gonna have to snap pics of it next time i am in that area which should be next weekend. Hard to feed kinda bothers me but LFS says that they eat there..been there for a month so i am gonna have to have him prove it to me...Thanx for lookin i will keep ya posted on this guy and take my tripod and camera set it up in LFS take pics, LOL.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
195 Posts
always remember, in sw there are juvinille colors and adult colors, then there are the colors in between, sometimes its in the middle of the transitiion and cant be identified, almost happened to be when i bought a lunar wrasse, about to put it in my tank, then i was like, wait..... and after looking at it for a while i could tell it was a lunar wrasse although it did have a mix of colors that involved the juvi and adult colors and didnt look like it at all, well long story short its back at the lfs, so just keep it in mind, as some fish in sw can have juvinille and adult colors

·
Darth Ichthyos
9,154 Posts
The Euxiphipops angels are mid-sized angels, much bigger than the Centropyges but smaller than the really big ones like Queens or Rock Beauties. They need really big tanks, and absolute top-of-the-line foods. These fish are pretty spectacular, but best left only to the experts. They are exceptionally prone to lateral line disease when things aren't kept just perfect. The sixbar is the least attractive of this genus, so naturally it is the hardiest and easiest to keep, although far from easy when compared to most other angels. If you have a 300 gallon tank with a miracle mud and caulerpa filter on it, along with ready access to a wide variety of choice foods, and the skill to properly quarantine the fish, then go for it! Make sure you have a grounding probe or two, and keep foot traffic near the tank to a minimum while the fish is getting used to the tank.
A 5-inch fish should be well out of the juvenile stage. The juvies have the same typical blue & white striped look shared by the other Pomacanthids.
All in all, I can't recommend this fish to anyone who hasn't kept large angels for a few years beforehand, and quite frankly, it angers me that the Euxiphipops angels are imported in the numbers they are without regard for their likely doom. These fish should only be available upon special order, I think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts