Fish Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping that y'all might be able to help me I'm at my wits end just about.

I cannot seem to get a handle on my nitrite levels. They're at 5ppm, and don't seem to want to go down. My ammonia levels are stable as just barely over 0ppm, and my Nitrates are going up and down like mad some days 20ppm, some days 80ppm.

I'm running a 6 week old 10g with a black moor and a panda telescope in it, both fish are small. I had some snails but they've all died. I'm running a UGF (soon to be reverse flow) and Bio-Wheel HOB, both running about 125gph. I've got a water wisteria in the tank and it's thriving, it's grown 2 inches in a week. I do regular water changes but they don't seem to help. I've tried daily and weekly changes but they make little difference

Is there any way to get my nitrites under control or do I just need to keep waiting until the nitrites drop? I really need to get this taken care of because I think the levels are killing my snails and I don't want to get any more until I get the levels zeroed out.

-HollywoodBob

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not sure about this but the dead snails might be the reasaon for the nitrites. I wonder if anything else is killing them. They don't tolerate medications well. Have you been dosing the tank? Bacteria turn ammonia into nitrite and other types turn nitrite into nitrate. How much are you feeding the fish? Excess fish food can raise nitrite levels. Anyone else??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I try to only feed them what they can eat in a couple of minutes, mainly to just keep the tank cleaner so I doubt that's the problem.

The snails will add ammonia but they get removed as soon as I notice they're ill.

I haven't been dosing my tank because I've been trying get the beneficial bacterria to grow and I don't want to kill the few little helpers I've got. I'm probably just having spikes because it's a fairly new tank. I've heard that BIO-Spira makes for a great additive but I can't buy it local and no one seems to want to ship it online.

-HollywoodBob

·
Registered
496 Posts
Your tank is still tryong to become cycled. By doing water changes to remove nitrites you are limiting the growth of your nitrite eating bacterial colony. Stop doing water changes until the nitrites drop.

Running an rugf and a bio-wheel is redundant. An undergravel filter is an axcellent bio filter - as long as the proper depth and size of gravel are being used. When you convert from the ugf to the rugf one of the benefits will be particles that previously were sucked down into the gravel will now be kept in the water. This is good as long as you have second filter who's primary purpose is to remove mechanical waste.

Bio-Spira is rarely shipped to retail customers as it requires constant refrigeration to maintain the bacteria.

G

·
Another thing you may not know is that when you are cycling your tank you shouldn't put any plants in because they feed on the same things that your bacteria feed on . wisteria is a major ammonia pig for some reason , so your ammonia is low , but your nitrites are really high because there's not enough food for the colony , because of the plant , maybe you can take it out until cycling is complete . If you're worried about the plant keep adding your dirty water to whatever you put it in , and make sure it gets light and it should be fine . i'm not saying your tank will never cycle with plants in it , i'm saying it'll take a lot longer .

·
Registered
14,961 Posts
Another thing you may not know is that when you are cycling your tank you shouldn't put any plants in because they feed on the same things that your bacteria feed on . wisteria is a major ammonia pig for some reason , so your ammonia is low , but your nitrites are really high because there's not enough food for the colony , because of the plant , maybe you can take it out until cycling is complete . If you're worried about the plant keep adding your dirty water to whatever you put it in , and make sure it gets light and it should be fine . i'm not saying your tank will never cycle with plants in it , i'm saying it'll take a lot longer .
This is incorrect. Plants actually reduce the stress on fish while the tank is cycling. Plants do love ammonia and nitrogen but the bacteria always gets first dibs on it. Adding plants will help your fish out, not hurt the tank. In a heavily planted tank, you may never see a nitrite or nitrate spike. The tank still cycles though. Plants only use what the bacteria cant. Bacteria always wins that fight.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
21 Posts
if you know anyone else with an establish aquarium, try to get a used filter cartridge, a handful of gravel, or even better a sponge filter fresh out of his tank. a lfs will prob have no prob giving you the gravel. its a lil late for that now after 6 weeks, but it will help speed those bacteria up regardless. btw biospira is great, but all the other biohelping products are a waste of money imo. ive heard mixed reviews on cycle

·
Registered
156 Posts
I've heard that BIO-Spira makes for a great additive but I can't buy it local and no one seems to want to ship it online.
The Fish Store will be glad to ship you bio spira, and it will be fresh and shipped with an ice pack. Bernie has been shipping bio spira since it first came out, and has had great success. He ships worldwide, so wherever you live should not be a problem unless it's illegal in your country.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts