Fish Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,... new to the forum.

I have a question. We have freshwater fish (125 gallon, 90 gallon, and two 10 gallon tanks). Inside three of these tanks I seem to find these little, thin, white worms that wiggle through the water. They are very small, so I can see them only if I look very closely, and concentrate. Are these Nematoda Round-worms? Or are they something else? Whatever it is they are, how do I get rid of them?? Are they harmful to the fish? (We have African Cichlids in two of those tanks.......I believe. One is a bumble-bee(?) I attached a picture of one of the Cichlids. As you can tell, I'm not exactly an expert on fish, though they've managed to survive in my care for the past two or so years. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.

G

·
Those are a small "protien" worm. You usually will notice then in established tank when they are hungry out looking for food. They will not really hurt anything and remember they feed on uneaten fish food so they may be actually assisting you in keeping the tank clean. The best way to control their numbers is to do a few water changes with a gravel cleaner and to change foods. Usually folks that feed fast sinking foods tend to have the most problems with these. Once again they are harmless so concider them another organism in your tank!

·
Registered
14,961 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the advice. I vaccum the gravel as often as I think is needed, but I think I do overfeed at times. I've been trying to change my ways lately, and not give in to the fish begging. I'll definitely watch the water conditions better from now on.
Thank you!

(PS. just so its clear, the white little lines in the picture are not worms, they are air-bubbles going up to the surface. :fish: )

1 - 5 of 5 Posts