Fish Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently got into the aquarium hobby after i found a good deal on a used 10g tank with 50W heater and a new topfin filter included. I have a fantail goldfish that used to be in a bowl that has now been transfered to the tank, a red wag platy came with the tank (which i think is prenant cuz she gets a bit bigger everytime i look a her) and i bough 2 bumblebee gobys a week after that...the tank also has 3 live plants

All of my fish are doing great, my room is pretty warm so i rarely use the heater because the thermometer says 76-78 most of the time. i was mainly wondering how ofter i should vacuum the gravel in a tank this size and with only 4 small fish, also what % of water to change per week (i have been doing about 20%), and finally if anyone could tell me what the maximum number of fish i could have in this tank and they would still be happy.??
(ps) is it alright for my platy to give birth in the tank or should i definitely move her, the problem is i dont have any alternative place to put her but a tiny goldfishbowl...:?:

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
your gonna want to get rid of the gold fish they are not compatible with the tropical fish and it will outgrow the 10 gallon in no time so long as you dont stunt its growth in which case it will live a very unhappy life. other than that depending on how big the fish are i would keep it to around 5-7 smaller 1 inch fish it is ok to let her have the babies in the tank much better than a bowl and since the gobys most likely wont eat them but be weary dont get any male platys as they can over populate pretty damn quick and its easy to get over whelmed and at first it may seem like a good idea to breed them to make some money but trust me it is very hard to sell them at even $1 a piece you will most likely end up giving them away by the handfulls and will lose more many than you make. and yes 20-25% weekly is perfect

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Like Revolution1221 said, please remove your goldfish as they are coldwater fish and they are big poppers.

How many platies do you have. I recommend keeping 1 because if you have more than 1 platy, they will end up breeding with each other or get a little territorial with each other(from my experience). Other wise you might have to buy a tank divider.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks for the tips, i was also curious about gravel vacuums and if i should definitely get one and how often i should use it

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
ok thanks for the tips, i was also curious about gravel vacuums and if i should definitely get one and how often i should use it
yes the gravel vac is very important that is what you use to do your water changes you dont just remove water from the top with buckets you syphen it out using a gravel vac while cleaning the gravel so 20-25% a week is how much you should be using it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my tnak has been updated a bit since last. I put the goldfish in a pond close to my house haha... he will probaably be happier in there. and my platy gave birth to 3 eggs today, i think she is stressed out or something?! her stomach seems to be squared off at the bottom and she is hiding in the large plants alot. she also isnt eating much... I got her from someone 2 months ago so i dont know if shes been preggo before or how old she is. i keep the temp at 80 and theres 2 bumblebeegobies and a male swordtail in the 10g tank, but she was pregnant before the swordtail was introduced fyi. can she still have fry soon if she had eggs today?
please reply asap :)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
my tnak has been updated a bit since last. I put the goldfish in a pond close to my house haha... he will probaably be happier in there. and my platy gave birth to 3 eggs today, i think she is stressed out or something?! her stomach seems to be squared off at the bottom and she is hiding in the large plants alot. she also isnt eating much... I got her from someone 2 months ago so i dont know if shes been preggo before or how old she is. i keep the temp at 80 and theres 2 bumblebeegobies and a male swordtail in the 10g tank, but she was pregnant before the swordtail was introduced fyi. can she still have fry soon if she had eggs today?
please reply asap :)
i hope it is a man made pond and not a natural pond. It is very important to not introduce non native species where they dont belong. And the reason why she is probably hiding is because she is in the middle of giving birth they wont eat much and they will try to seek out a good place to have their fry. it can take up to 8 hours for them to have all their fry and sometimes if they are not comfortable they wont even let them all go. And they give birth to live fry they do have eggs but the egss hatch inside of them although in rare occasions they can give birth to undeveloped eggs when stressed.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea shes just letting go of these small clear orbs. im pretty sure their undevelloped eggs.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
yea shes just letting go of these small clear orbs. im pretty sure their undevelloped eggs.
shes probably stressed for some reason that she is getting them out early. They wont hatch and can be removed from the tank but its possible she could still have some babies. I had a balloon molly once give birth to completely undeveloped egss, partially developed eggs, fry with yolk sacks still attached, and fully developed fry that ate food right after being born.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok thanks for the info m8

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well as i was sleeping last night my platy must have been going craZY, this morning i found her dead, but sunken at the bottom :S (maybe because her belly was full of eggs?) i did a 50% water change so that the other fish don't have to deal with the *death* water. Does anyone know why she would die in labour? maybe she was too young (she was around 2 inches long, maybe a bit less)
I would like to try and breed fish again and buy another femalebut first i want to know how this one screwed up :S, what would be the most compatible with my swordtail?

·
Loach Lover
1,506 Posts
Sometimes these things just happen... a female can die giving birth very easily, especially if it's her first batch or if she's stressed. And to be honest, a lot of livebearing fish (guppies, platies, mollies, etc.) are so overbred and INbred that it's not unusual to lose them to unknown causes.

Just to make sure, take a baggie with some water to a local fish store (a non-chain one is probably best) and have them test your water to see if the chemistry is healthy for your fish.

As for tank mates, you can do a female molly (who CANNOT mate with swordtails, despite what some people claim), another female platy, a couple male guppies, or a female swordtail. Just be ready for babies if you have a female platy or swordtail, because platies are able to interbreed and will probably do so.

·
Registered
921 Posts
welcome to the forum :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ok thanks you so much Chic!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts