Fish Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
AquaMan
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am currently about to upgrade with a 90 Gallon tank I am going to purchase off of Craigslist for a great price. The Tank comes with a 404 fluval filter, is that adequate for 90 Gallons? I am going to start the two week Ncycle and was wondering if I should purchase live planted plants from my local fish store to add during the cycle or should I plant seeds in there? I was also wondering what fish I could introduce into my tank? I currently have: 2 Large angels, 1 Common Pleco, 2 Dwarf gouramaris, and 5 green barbs. I was thinking 2 yellow parrots, I know they're aggressive but with all that space I would think they would be fine. I was also going to buy some apple snails but wasn't sure what to look for to make sure that they aren't carrying any harmful bacteria. Would I be able to add the snails during the N cycle?

Thanks!
-Conrad:fish:

·
Darth Ichthyos
9,154 Posts
404's are nice, but one filter is never enough for a tank. Add a second filter of some type so you can clean one but leave the other alone each month ( switch each month )

Seeds? You can get seeds? Adding plants now would be fine, but they will help to replace your cycle.

Snails can be sensitive and do best when added after the cycle is done, but they often do just fine from the beginning.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I agree with what TheOldSalt said....also with the canister filter, make sure the outlet is at or just about the water line if don't get a second filter. This will help get oxygen into the water better.

·
I♥Angels
188 Posts
i have had parrots they should be ok, might terrorise dwarf gourami though.. they took out a few of my giant danios - wasnt best pleased with that. they mix better with bigger fish. also i had a pair who tried to spawn a few times (being infertile they were unsucessfull) the female use to bully my male all the time. in the end he ended up hiding all the time. so i rehomed her and he was fine by himself :) i only just sold him as want to try and breed angels now.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Apple snails would be fine in there. And I do think the parrots would work out as well. Just make sure you have lots of hidinmg spots. I have a parrot and he's not to aggressive. You should be okay with that. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I've seen my friends parrot and once went ape **************** when adding 3 silver dollars. Pretty much terrorized the hell of them till the point where they had to be returned. I guess it just depends on personality.
Agree, "some" parrots can be psyco. I had some once that constantly harassed, chased, picked on fought with other fish. Mine is semi-aggressive. He bosses by FH around. For now anyway, lol. :fun: Anyway, don't let those puppy dog eyes fool you. Some can be down right nasty.

·
Permanent Fishaholic
1,623 Posts
I've seen my friends parrot and once went ape **************** when adding 3 silver dollars. Pretty much terrorized the hell of them till the point where they had to be returned. I guess it just depends on personality.
I wouldn't mix Parrots with Silver Dollars either. Silver Dollars are semi-aggressive, but lean more towards the peaceful end of the stick. Luckily, with my current setup I've never had any problems with aggression and that's probably because my 12" Black Ghost Knife and 11" Pleco keep all of the other fish in line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.