Fish Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so.. Yesterday I was sitting here checking my emails and I heard my six year old daughter screaming for her life for me to come check the male fish tank.

I went in to have a look and all she kept screaming about was that "Rocky" (one of my four panda barb) was missing his eye.
After further investigation I sat there waiting for Rocky to come out of hiding and there we had it...an empty eye socket.

* Rocky once seemed to have pop eye (he was my first panda purchase when I first set up my tank) and it went away after a water change. This was in October/ November.

* I know that Sanders usually has this habit of chasing all my other fish around the tank. (Sanders is one of the four panda in the tank.) I've seen him many times chasing the smaller panda and platy around- even once moved him away to another tank for a short time.

After I discovered Rocky I moved him into my female platy/ baby tank to live his life at ease. He made it through the night and seems to be alright for the moment.

Now my main concern is: did this happen due to pop eye or was it a culprit of attack from my other pandas?
Has anyone else experienced this type of thing happen?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Eyes are usually a target for attack since they are quite vulnerable. No idea if that's what happened, though.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Yes other fish will attack eyes and many barbs are on the picking on each other side of things. So chances are good that it was a fish attack more than from pop eye. I am pretty sure the other eye would be bulging if it were pop eye. The good news is they can live happy lives without an eye, or even without both eyes. I had a totally eyeless zebra danio in my 100 ga and it outlived it's friends despite how easy it would have been for him to be out competed for food.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts