Fish Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have had my 55 gal tank set up for 5 years and recently after adding some new fish to my collection, i have began to lose almost all of them. All my chemicals are in balance. My fish include, mollies and gloe fish. i also have live plants. in a week i have lost 7 of my 14 fish =( after losing my first few fish, i quaranteed the rest of my fish in a bucket while i treat the water with malofix and stress coat. i need help=((( could this be a stress related? i dont see any signs of the ick

·
Registered
464 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,533 Posts
I hope its not that disease. But I agree that disease is most likely. You can cause ammonia spike when you add new fish, but usually you only get one die-off from that, not ongoing deaths. When you add new fish w/o QT (and often even w/ QT) you are likely to introduce disease. Stress from new fish can make fish more susceptible to disease but doesn't kill quickly by itself. Stress-coat and melafix are good, but not life-saving. They are more like vitamin C than penicillin. If fish are dying, its too late for them to help you. Go on a fish-disease site like fishyfarmacy.com and see if any of your symptoms match up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i quaranteed the rest of my fish in a bucket while i treat the water with malofix and stress coat. i need help=((( could this be a stress related? i dont see any signs of the ick
I would leave the fish in the tank and treat them there with Mellafix. Is there a filter, heater, airation in the bucket?

I hope you don't mean your treating the tank water with the fish out of it because both those meds are for the fish and won't do anything for just the water.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I agree, I would put the fish back in the tank and treat the whole tank. Keeping them in a bucket will most likely kill them.

You can add some salt to the tank, 1 tbs per 10 gallons of water, treat ALL the fish in the tank. Don't take them out, the disease it on the fish itself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts