Fish Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I would not say that this fish has a hump ON it's back. I would definitely say that this fish has a curved spine. I do not know if the curved spine would cause the raised scales or not. It is possible I suppose. As for the deformed spine itself there are a few things that can cause this. The 2 most common are deformed at birth and TB. If it was a birth deformity that does not mean it would necessarily have looked like this when you got the fish. I have found that fish can look really normal in mid life but then go back to looking deformed as they age. I had some danios (known for this spine problem) look horrid as juveniles then look like nothing at all was wrong for a few years then slowly had the deformity reveal itself again.

With TB it is also highly likely that by now there would be some form of a visible sore. In the event that it is TB, or as a precaution on the safe side anyway, it would be in your best interest to make sure that you wash very well after making contact with the tank. This is a disease that can pass to humans.

Other illnesses and even stress can cause a spine deformity, it is just not quite as common, with just stress being the least likely.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.