1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Loach Lover
1,506 Posts
Put some more plants in your tank (if they have any floating plants at your local fish store, like watersprite, hornwort, or crystal wort, these are ideal because tiny babies can hide in them).
If you can't find these, just get some more fake plants, they will work too.

Edit: I just looked at the pictures and it looks like you already have plenty of fake plants, so just look into getting some floating stuff (some petstores will just give it away, that's how we got ours) and if not, don't even worry about it. Just let nature take its course :)

·
Fish Watcher...
725 Posts
You could just try and gage when she's going to give birth and then put her in the breeding trap. When they start to go quiet and sit around at the bottom of the tank, not doing much then you know somethings going to happen soon so this would be the time id put them in. Its not too much stress.

The floating plants would also work although, if you only have platies in the tank then the fry aren't going to get eaten so they will be fine left to have the tank for themselves.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a couple days ago i came home and found 5 fry. i have 2 in a breeding net and 3 are hiding and i cant reach them. I am asuming that the parents ate most of them

·
Loach Lover
1,506 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. Sometimes they will only have a small batch of fry.
Our fish have never had more than 15 at one time, and usually it's a LOT less than that.
Good luck catching them, they are quite squirrely. And freakin tiny, too, I used a cup to catch our platy babies because I didn't know if they'd slip through the net.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i caught 7 today so in total i got 9 in my breeding trap im pretty sure thats all of them i cleared everything out and none appear to be there.

·
Fish Watcher...
725 Posts
Congrats, they are pretty easy to look after. Just feed them crushed up flakes, they should be fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea im feeding them crushed flakes, not all of them are eating though, and since there is nine i put a little fake plant in so they are comforable, when should i take them out and put them in the main tank?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
after about 3-4 days they look like they are getting a little bigger, so i dont know when or if i should move them

·
Registered
93 Posts
Do not move them back into a main tank until they are bigger than the mouths of the other fish in the tank. 1-2 weeks (leaning towards the 2) is your best bet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
congrats on fry!!!!!!
:fun::fun::fun::fun::fun::fun:
;);););):cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake::cake:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts