Fish Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a fish that will bury itself underground and will refuse to come out even to eat, i have had the fish for about 2 days now and the fish has refused to come out even to look for food, what is a solution to get him to eat without disturbing him or stressing him out?
Also the type of fish is a horse head something... i forget what the formal name of it is but it is light brownish in color very thin and is about 4 inches long.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Loach Lover
1,506 Posts
Horseface loach, probably. You'll not catch him eating very often, as they are nocturnal and probably won't come out while you're awake. They are very shy and just sift through the bottom to find food.
How long has your tank been up?

·
Loach Lover
1,506 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that is the fish that i have the horseface loach, and i do not have sand in my tank buy i have something very similar a very fine gravel so its about the same as sand.

·
Am I missing an eyebrow?
650 Posts
He's probaby just taking a little bit to settle into the new tank. I agree with hXcChic22, get some sinking wafers for him to eat, especially with your tank only being two months old.

·
Loach Lover
1,506 Posts
Ok then, you're just fine. Even with the algae wafers, don't be surprised to not see him eat. Ours has been in our tank since November and we rarely see him eat or sppear out of the sand at all. When he does, he just noses around on the bottom, sifting sand through his gills and eating the good stuff. He won't be the most active member of your tank. :)

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Dont worry no fish will starve itself and if it's been two months chances are he's eaten. The armatus I used to have never ate infront of me so I thought he wasn't eating but there's no way a fish can go 5months+ without food and still keep growing. I've also never seen my ghost knife eat either and I've had him for a few years. If thhe fish is still alive, he's eating.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts