Fish Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently bought two clowns from a store and one hopped out. I put a clown of relatively the same size into the tank. Both of my clowns I have are about 6 months of age. have they chosen a gender yet?

· Perfect Water - BÖC
2,822 Posts
When there is a noticeable size difference between the two, the odds are that they've paired. All the same, if you have two large females, the odds are they'll fight incessantly. Once they turn female, they can't turn back. When trying to get two clowns to pair, it's easiest to get one large one and one small one.

Regardless, good luck!

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know and I thought I picked one that was smaller when I got home it wasnt but like I said they are both young. do you know how long it takes for them to turn genders? lol hopefully not less then a week. if it is not less then a week. I will be okay.

· Registered
2,880 Posts
If I remember correctly, they need to be the largest fish in a group of fish. Without any other fish, they stay male. I dont think they will change by themselves.

· Perfect Water - BÖC
2,822 Posts
If they're both males, then they'll fight. The winner becomes a female, the looser stays male. Unless they're already both female, you'll end up with a pair anyways. Patience here is key, and if you see one of them injured, not bullied, by the other, it might be necessary to separate them. Ideally, you'll be all right though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.