Fish Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently (recent being not a whole year yet) got a free fish tank from a friend/neighbor (woo) so I got some live plants, gravel, fish etc. then my mom decided to buy some Black mollies one day, the very same night they started shooting babies out,(I know their called fry but I'm calling them babies) so we started collecting them and putting them in a smaller tank, most of them were black, some of them were red, like our red wag platys, so maybe they decided at the same time to pop some out? the difference was there were only about 3 or 4 red ones and about 27+ black ones, anyways, all the red survived and 2 of the black, then we put them into our adult fish tank (it's a small-fish fresh water aquarium I think 20-30gallons I forget right now) anyways the black ones always stayed near the top of the water, and the red ones never came to the top, not even for feeding (in the baby tank anyways), now up-to-date both those surviving black ones died and the red ones are almost the same size as the adults, now the thing I don't understand is, if I only saw the black ones eating, why didn't they grow? The entire time having them they never got bigger they were probably pinky-nail sized, a tad bit bigger, but never got larger then that, I assume the red ones ate the food after it fell on the bottom, since they always try to steal the plecos discs (I feed the plecos at night but if any of their disc is leftover the red ones eat it quickly, we had a baby albino pleco in the babies tank for clean-up duties) so my main question is, Could it have just been some kind of birth defect? also one small detail, we didn't have a lid for the tank we had the babies in, so we were constantly (every week at least) adding a bucket of water, we treated it with stuff but after each new water bucket, one...not 2 or 3...just one black fish would be dead the following day, if it was a problem with the water I don't see how one would just die and it not effect the red ones, ever, or more then one. so if anyone can help me understand what may have happened, maybe the pet store had to much inbreeding and I just ended up getting the bad ones? also my black molly adults died, it was a little bit before the last 2 black babies died. no one is sick in the tank, visually or attitude-wise. if anyone can tell me anything I may not have known it would be appreciated. Thank You

·
Darth Ichthyos
9,154 Posts
Mysterious, isn't it?

No, not really.

Mollies like hard, preferably slightly salty water with a high pH. They are also strongly vegetarian. Because if these things, it's not at all uncommon for mollies to not survive while the other fish do fine. Mollies are usually sold as "beginner" fish, but they really aren't.
So, next time, try setting up a tank with mollies in mind, and you'll be rewarded with some really nice fish.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts