Fish Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
995 Posts
From what i know about urchins, its virtually impossible to vuisually distinguish between male and female urchins thus making it highly unlikely to breed them in captive. BTW if you plan on keeping them in your main DT say goodbye to your coraline algae...

· Darth Ichthyos
9,144 Posts
Actually, it's simplicity itself.

Proper manipulation of the moonlighting and temperature will make them spawn, or if you want instant results, just inject them, in the soft spot around their mouths, with a KCL solution. They'll spawn like crazy within hours, or even minutes if they're already ripe. It's a common lab procedure, since urchin larvae are very useful in bioassay testing. ( for toxicity in a system, for example )

· Registered
4,961 Posts
They dont make much of a dent in coralline algae. Mine has never phased it at all even though he's always eating on it.

· One Word: Croutons.
1,952 Posts
My parents urchin eats everything- good and bad. Rocks start looking good, and it wipes everything out on them.

I've heard urchins being bred in labs, and I guess you could do it in an aquarium... good luck with raising the larvae though.

· One Word: Croutons.
1,952 Posts
TheOldSalt said:
Again, not all that hard to do. If you have an ecosystem-type setup which is plankton-friendly, then you'll have urchins galore if you're not careful.
Really? Didn't know they were that easy to grow. Sigh, I don't see the need in getting more though... one is usually more than enough for any tank :p.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.