Fish Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a 55 gallon I am getting ready to cycle and set up once that's done I want to put Rusties and Lemons in it but i want to make sure a few things.

Will they get along?

How many of each would be enough to keep them happy but leave me understocked?

Is there an Algea eater or snail i can add with them to help keep the tank clean but not be a snack?

· Premium Member
12,536 Posts
1 big apple snail (2 make snail eggs). Those fish should be compatible. Ideally you'd get 1 male and 3 females of each. This is understocked when they are 1" long, but overstocked when they reach full size. I always advise a second large filter on a mbuna tank.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've run across some info from another fish keeper that Lemon yellows and Rusties can't be kept together but it's the only place I've heard of it, but I dont' want to cause my fish harm, is this true? Should i look for an alternative for the Lemon yellow because I want to rusty more.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well at my LFS there were Yellow labs and Lemon yellows so I thought they were two different fish and in all my research i can't seem to get a definitive answer, I've read that the names are interchange able and i've read that lemon yellows are version of a yellow tang (from the same person who said they don't play together, but it's just word of mouth, I asked them for some reading material on this and I'm waiting to hear back)

· Premium Member
12,536 Posts
some "lemon yellows" are just pale yellow labidochromis caeruleus, but some are lemon yellow varieties of other fish such as Neolamprologus lelupi or even Aulonocara jacobfreibergi. This is why common names are not that useful. Look at the shape or post a pic.

And yes, I wouldn't mix N. lelupi with iodotropheus sprengerae (rusty). So your discussion might just be muddled by confusion over which fish you are talking about.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.