Fish Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Approximately three-four weeks ago, my angelfish had their first batch of eggs and ate them after two or three days of fanning them.

For the past week, the "female" has her ovipositor sticking out and is extremely fat but no eggs. In the evening, I turn off the light and she seems to be attacking the "male." At times, they almost charge at each other and put their mouths together and the female seems to be turning on her side. (I have read this is mating behavior) Last night, she seemed to be charging into him (his sides and head on) and seems to be nipping at him and chasing him around the whole tank.

It seems pretty violent what she was doing last night. Is this normal mating behavior? Or is something else going on?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
252 Posts
If you haven't already you may want to post this under the cichlid - South American category.

I know cichlids can get pretty agressive at mating time, especially if one is ready, and the other isn't. You may need to get a tank divider to separate them so one doesn't kill the other.

I had two female angels both laying eggs together. No male in the tank.

Even in a good mated pair, it can take several tries before they get it right and actually produce fry.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts