Fish Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
40+ years experience
185 Posts
Swimming against the flow is just because he likes to swim in a strong current. It doesn't mean much, other than it seems like fairly healthy behavior.
Mating behavior in swords is similar to most livebearers; when the female is giving birth and right after, the male can detect it (by smell I suspect) and will chase her down like nobody's business, he'll be obsessive about trying to mate with her. A lot of displaying, darting in front of the female, and flaring his fins, doing a little back and forth dance with a curved body usually, then BLAM - darting over and trying to mate, and the more she swims away the more fervent his attempts will get. It can go on for more than a day, this is why you want more females to males, so the attention is spread amongst all the females. Otherwise, a male can actually pester a female to death, especially while she's birthing. She needs some resting time in there, some hidey places to get away from the male's attentions.
Sleeping under a leaf together at night, although a romantic notion, means nothing other than it's a good place to sleep at night for them and they both found it. Fish will find a place of low current sometimes and rest, that's just normal behavior.
All of the other behaviors you mentioned are just random sword behavior, nothing at all to do with mating. I've NEVER seen a female approach a male and try to initiate mating, getting in position or anything at all like that. They really don't have to do that with a healthy male around, trust me.
Keep one male to 2-3 females minimum for best results.
I disagree with the concept of preventative medicating your tank. I haven't medicated my tank in over 10 years, and don't quarantine my fish, and I rarely lose a fish to disease or infection. Fish kept in good conditions - not overfed, water changes, filter changes, correct pH and chemistry - are usually healthy enough to fend off infections. I've never witnessed a fish swimming against the flow of water do so because of infectious disease - flukes or otherwise - ever. Sick fish can take on some odd behaviors, but swimming against the stream isn't usually enough just in and of itself, to signal anything wrong. If they're SHIMMYING and going against the stream, MAYBe.
Good luck to you!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.