Fish Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1 inch green spotted puffer in a 5 gallon tank by itself. I feel like I made a mistake in the tank size. How much longer should I leave him in there or should I move him already. Also, people have different opinions on whether you should use aquarium salt or marine salt:fish:. Any recommendations?:chair:

·
Registered
303 Posts
For brackish you need marine salt. Aquarium salt will not make it brackish. I would go ahead and move the puffer to a bigger tank.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Aquarium Salt will indeed make your water brackish. I use it for my brackish tank and the salinity is perfect so it does work or the test would show it.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
aquarium salt is only NaCl. Technically brackish as salty-water is technically salt-water, but not ocean water. Natural brackish water occurs where sea water and fresh water mix. So marine salt is best for brackish water fish.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can leave him in there for a while youl see when he starts to grows too big for the tank then take him out I had my gsp in a 3g for 5months then I put him in a bigger tank

·
Registered
410 Posts
You will need marine salt for brackish. And I would go with at least a 10gallon for him alone. THey like their space, especially if you plan on getting some other fish in there, it'll help with the agression. But it also depends on your puffer.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the advice...so no aquarium salt. Well, need some Marine salt. Maybe I will move him into the 20 gallon I have...just need a light hood and filter.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I would use this opportunity to make sure that you get your 20 gallon nice and established prior to moving him. You should have plenty of time to do that. Do a fishless cycle (my recommendation not a requirement) and make sure it is stable once cycled, for several weeks before putting him in.

That's what I would do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts