Fish Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,699 Posts

Common names - blue gourami, gold/golden gourami, three spot gourami, 2 spot gourami, Opaline gourami, Cosby gourami, marbled gourami, silver gourami.

note- the blue gourami is now considered a sub-species (Trichogaster trichopterus sumatranus ). but it's in there anyway. treat it the same as the others.

Scientific Name- Trichogaster trichopterus

Native geographical area- South east Asia.

Native habitat- found in many diverse areas. their labyrinth organ enables them to live in warm, mucky oxygen depleted ponds. but also are found in clear or muddy lakes, rivers and canals. likes plants, but not needed.

Maximum Size- around 5 inches (13 cm).

Minimum Aquarium Size- minimum 20 gallons

Natural & captive Diet- Omnivorous. enjoys live/frozen foods such as brine shrimp, bloodworms, mosquito larvae, blackworms, tubifex. Needs vegetable matter, spinach, peas, lettuce. Flakes as a staple is fine. pellets. not picky, will eat anything.

Tank zone- mainly upper regions. but not restricted to them, and will be found all over the tank.

Temperament & compatibility- Peaceful but can be aggressive to some fish. Don't mix with slow docile fragile fish such as guppies. Tetras make great tank mates. males are more territorial, especially when keeping more than one male in a small tank or when they start to breed.

Hardness range- 3-35 dH Optimal hardness- 10. not picky.

pH range- 6.0-8.5 Optimal ph- 7. not picky.

Temperature range- 75-86*F (24-30*C) Optimal temperature- 78*F (26*C) not picky.

Optimal salinity- Freshwater.

Photo period- 12/12

Seasonal changes critical? Y

Hardiness - A very hardy fish. good beginner fish. the labyrinth organ enables them to breathe air and more resistant to poor water conditions.

lifespan- 5-8 years.

Physical description- Color varies. Large anal fin. Long thin ventral fins, Trichopterus means "hair fin" which is referring to the ventral fins.

Activity peak- diurnal

Sexing- Males have more pointed, longer dorsal fins. females have shorter, rounder dorsal fins.

Spawning notes- A very easy to breed fish. Separate the sexes and condition with live or frozen foods for about a week. I used bloodworms, brineshrimp, chopped earthworms and mosquito larvae. The female should look like she swallowed a marble, that's when you know she's chocked full of eggs and ready to roll. Both the male and female will have very dark colored markings. After introducing the male lower the water level a couple of inches to about 8 inches of water. Increase the temperature to 86 degrees. cut a styrofoam cup lengthwise for the male to build his bubble nest in. Floating plants like hornwort and duckweed will help too. In around 48 hours they should spawn. after they do, remove the female as the male gets very territorial and could harm or kill the female. The male wraps his body around the female and "hugs" her. they will shake a little and the eggs will come out. the male will put them in the bubble nest

Other notes- Don't be surprised to find yours locking lips disputing over territory. may be aggressive towards their own species but become very docile and unconfrontational when a slightly more aggressive species is introduced, i.e. a rainbow shark.

· Darth Ichthyos
9,144 Posts
I LIKE the blue color for the headings!

Photoperiod means how many hours of light and darkness does it need; if it's from the equator it'll be 12/12, but the further from the equator, the more the fish will be accustomed to seasonal changes and different photoperiods, which brings us to seasonal changes, referring to whether or not seasonal changes are required to trigger spawning. I suppose I should add that to the welcome/instructions thread.
Good job so far, shev!

· Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks oldsalt. I figured photoperiod and "activity peak" were 2 different things, I just didnt look up what it meant.

since theyre from around the 20 degrees latitude mark what would that be?

also I guess there are monsoon seasons (May to November) and dry seasons (December to April). but there is little seasonal temperature variation. so i guess I should change seasonal changes critical for spawning to yes?

I dont have any lavender gouramis. the eggs from the breeding picture of the blue and gold gourami were just fed to the fish, (since my fry food culture kinda died when i went on vacation) and I forgot to take pics of the eggs. I shoulda kept a few so i could have some lavender gouramis. but I'll post a pic of my blue gouramis.

· Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, another question. what should the title be? there are so many common names, and (amlost) nobody knows what Trichogaster trichopterus is.

· Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well ok, if no one see's anything else wrong then I guess it's ready. I edited the title to three spot gourami, but that didnt show up i guess.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.