Fish Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I♥Angels
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sixteen inch pleco.. who i had in my 260L tank with a few tank mates, he has recently been in quarantine and my fish have really came out of theirselves, they swim around much more also. I am however debating whether to put the much loved pleco back into the tank with them or too give him a new home.. I'm just worried about whether at his new home he would have a big enough tank or the right treatment? I also feel mean even thinking about finding him a new home.. any adive? I have attached some pics of him :)

:fish::fish:

Attachments

G

·
Char,

if your fish seem happier without him in the tank, i wouldnt suggest puttin him back in there. he can grow atleast another 8 inches at the least. the final decision is yours though.

260L = 68GL. which is roughly 48Lx18Wx18H. when he does grow, he will take up half your tank in lenght. just a thought really.

Cheers!

·
Your Brown Eyed Girl
1,043 Posts
Sometimes you have to think of the fish first - how to make them have a better life. If you do end up giving him away then make sure the take will suit his size. :)
Good luck!

·
I♥Angels
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm hes been the same size for the past 4 years so i think hes reached his peak, i might pop him back in for abit and see how he gets on, and how the other fish get on, i dont think the rocks helped him as he had to swim around the whole tank to move around as such, now theres no rocks he might not seem as threatening swimming over my fish.. sadly he has swim bladder and tends to sit on his nose in the tank alot. he also requires special treatment as he is very funny about what he eats.. hes not a fan of algae wafers or cucumber hes akward.. as he only really shows an interest to flake.. and he has trouble eating it as hes not a great swimmer :( i might see how he gets along for a few days and if things have changed, and if not then maye find him a new home.. he might do good going to the zoo? :) theres also a BIG aquarium opening up in bristol which maybe they would take him.. i am hoping to get a job there :)

·
I♥Angels
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i i have just found out my estimation of his size was not great haha he is only about 13 inches i just measured him oops haha

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I hear your dilemma all the time with plecos, pacus and oscars, You'd give him to someone with a bigger tank, but if you just give him to a petstore or sell him at auction he could end up in a smaller tank. Take your time to find him a good home, a large display tank at a store or office, maybe. Post on the web and join a local fish club to meet people with big tanks. Big plecos do seem to make small fish nervous. They aren't predators first, but they are nocturnal and will eat what fits in their mouths. So it can be hard to sleep with a big-mouth in the tank.

·
I♥Angels
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmm its mostly my convict he upsets but she sends alot of time hiding in the plants anyway, one of my parrots was hiding quite alot at one point but stopped.. their not exactly small fish the smallest is my black widows and ram.. and they never have hidden when he has been about.. my cichlids however are large, and my silver dollars. cichlids do tend to hide alot anyway.. guess i'll give him a try. the only places near me with large display tanks is pets at home.. and frankly they are not having him at all.. many times i walk in there and theres dead fish.. no waaaay.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Get him a pleco cave and he will most likely hide all day and not bother anyone. http://www.plecocaves.com/Caves.htm. Maybe a couple spares so the other fish that like caves won't fight him for it. The main issue I have with big plecos is you end up feeding the tank more heavily and having to change water and clean filters more.

Cichlids that spawn may attack plecos to protect their spawns.

·
I♥Angels
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah my cichlids have tried, i did have a pair of convicts but gave away the male as they were terrible together and he was really aggressive around spawning, thanks for the advice i may have to look into the caves :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts