Fish Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

A while ago I posted a few times about my 1970s Metalframe 29 gallon tank.

I even asked for help figuring out the rewiring hood part. Well I am finally getting back here to let those who gave advice know how things turned out.

I moved a month after the tank was set up and the light was figured out. During said move it was discovered that my method for holding the glass over the light bulb area was not going to work (I had a bit of advice from here on how to do this). In the end Smart Girlfriend gave me 4 grey Velcro bundle thingies to use as a "temporary" solution. It’s been 6 months and we haven't come up with a better one yet! You can see them in the pictures, simply wrapped them around the entire light to hold the glass.

I also finally found some driftwood at an antique store of all places for a whopping $1! I love the shape of it and I only soaked it for a month to get all the dust and most of the tannins out of it! :D Patient Girlfriend hated dodging/tripping over the 5 gallon bucket I had it in (filling with fresh hot water daily for the first few weeks).

Now the tank is set up our lovely much used dining room (first for both of us, we love sitting to an actual table to eat!). The tank is stocked with live plants: Amazon Swords (3 different types 4 plants total) And some suffering Moneywort and a lot of Aponogetons. I hope to get some Hornwort to help with the algae issues I'm having lately.

The residents are the original 8 Colombian Tetras which were rescued from Walmart for a total of $1.67 plus tax, 4 Three Line Cories, 11 Neon Tetras and a Gold Angelfish and 4 Mystery Snails. I do weekly 5 gallon water changes and so far only had the Nitrates rise after adding the Neons, I keep it under 20ppm.

I also am aware that Neons are Angelfish snack, so far I only lost 4 when I first put them in. I was hoping they were big enough and Sunshine (the Angel) was small enough for eating not to be a problem, He still pecked the he** out of them at first. Now all is well for now. This is what happens when LFS has a 2 for 88 cent sale on Neons! I'm like I could buy a school! Yay! I also let Money Saving Girlfriend talk me in to buying more cheap Neons instead of the Red Eye Tetras I wanted that were $2 each...Live and learn, she felt bad when they got pecked off, we thought of returning the remaining 11 but decided not to since Sunshine has left them alone…PS he was named after the character Sunshine in Remember the Titans, we were watching it when we first got him.

So that is the setup. Oh I am using a Penguin Filter for 55gallon. I am having issues with it though and will be replacing it with an AquaClear soon. I'll run both for a while to make sure I dont hit a cycle. I also have a standard sponge filter tucked behind my driftwood.

I just uploaded a ton of pictures to my profile, but I need advice with my algae problem. I have three types I think, the typical green that is tough to remove from the glass, a brown that just wipes off which is also on my plants and a fluffy type that grows on the plants and nowhere else. Any advice on how to get rid of the brown and fluffy types would be great!

So on to the pictures!

Fluffy Algae

You can see the brown and green algae on the back of the tank where I have a hard time cleaning.

Wow this became a longer post than I had planned! Feel free to visit my gallery its called TVT Update

·
Registered
918 Posts
nice pics! hey, anyone know if there is something that eats that fluffy algae?

·
Permanent Fishaholic
1,623 Posts
nice pics! hey, anyone know if there is something that eats that fluffy algae?
Some Plecos will I just can't remember what exact species.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,533 Posts
real hair algae (light green, look like fake fur) will be eaten by some goodieds and some real Siamese algae eaters. Black bottle brush algae (looks like really greasy, nasty hair) is less appetizing, but supposed dies in response to flourish Excel.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would a bleach dip work? I really don't want to have to pull all the plants, but I'm not loving this look of dirty and fluffy plants...I've heard of people using the American-Flag Fish for some forms of algae and Platties I think?

I'm not a pleco fan, but if it works I might get one for a few weeks and sell it back to my LFS...luckily I'm friends with the owner so I know I wont have a problem doing this!

Any info would be great!

·
Super Moderator
8,473 Posts
HYDROGEN BOMB.................................................hydrogen peroxide will kill several forms of algae...especially black beard algae..try a dip in 2 gallons of water with about 10ml or so of peroxide..rube the plants gently to help remove the algae...then just put them back in the tank...
you could also treat the tank by adding about 3 drops of peroxide per gallon to the tank...

oh yeah...always keep a bottle peroxide handy around the fishroom...if there is a power failure ; you will need it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Peroxide? I had heard of adding it during a power outage to add oxygen to the water but I hadn't heard of algae killing properties. If I add it to the tank is it harmful to the fish at that level?

·
Super Moderator
8,473 Posts
at 2-3 drops per gallon...no..but i don't know how much effect it will have on the algae...
but.................peroxide will not kill all types of algae.

·
Super Moderator
8,473 Posts
not only that....but they are an awesome lookin little fish too..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.