Fish Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. My husband Joe and I (Nichole) are fish enthusiasts. We built a 210 gal. tank into the wall in our kitchen for cichlids and we have a 44 gal. tank in our living room for spotted puffers. We also have a 10 gal. tank in our bedroom for tropical tetras.

We could use some help on figuring out how to clean the puffer tank. We used a sandlike gravel and we're not sure how to clean it. This is the area of the fish realm that we are new to. We have always had fish tanks over the past few years.

When we go to the Aquarium Center where we purchase 95% of our fish and supplies we seem to get mixed answers on the questions we ask. That's why we are joining this site. To get other user advice. Nice to meet you all and we look forward to chatting with everyone regularly.

·
Premium Member
1,701 Posts
lightly vacuum over the sand to get the debris off it. How thick is the sand layer? If it is more than an inch, it will need to be moved around a bit to avoid anerobic pockets which will eventually emit hydrogen sulfide ( the rotten egg smell that comes from SOME aquariums). The best thing you can do for fish health is regular partial water changes. Personally I change 25% of my water in all my tanks weekly. Of course the clean water should be dechlorinated and the same temp as the tank. BTW welcome to the forum.

·
My Harlequin Rasboras
586 Posts
Welcome Aboard!

Very nice people here, where everyone is just like family.

Feel free to post comments and questions to the forums, and photos to your Album.
I guess I can't feel free to post questions or comments anymore :lol: Welcome to Fish Forums!!

G

·
I guess I can't feel free to post questions or comments anymore :lol: Welcome to Fish Forums!!

oh feel free.....but dont ask for advice, turn around and do your own thing and then come running back here whining like a lil pig who got his tail stuck between the door and the frame!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Zakk knock it off. Seriously.

I clean my sand by hovering a small vac over the top (the smallest vac they have). It needs to be a fairly small one or it will soak up the sand. If you swirl it then it kicks up the mess on top and allows you to clean things up. It does make the water a bit messy but the filter should take care of that no problems.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.