Fish Forums banner

What to put in a 10-gallon...

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  emc7 
#1 ·
Hi again everyone! I was lucky enough to get my hands on a second 10-gallon from a family member, but I'm having trouble deciding on what friend(s) to put in in it. I was thinking of either getting a betta OR a small school (maybe neon tetras), but my younger brother pointed out that I'm emotionally attached to my goldfish, and I might not have that connection with a school.

So not only do I have to factor in an emotional connection, but also the fact that I've only ever had experience with common and comet goldfish. I have no experience with any other fish. I have, however, done quite a bit of research on betta stuff in the recent past.

All I know for sure is that I want more experience with different kinds of freshwater fish as I grow older, even if I have to start out easy. Do you guys have any ideas or advice or me? :/

G
#2 ·
I am thinking a betta would be a good start towards other fish. They are pretty easy to take care of and they are very hardy fish, can withstand 90% of things that go wrong with aquariums. Bettas are very cool and they have great personalities as well.

#3 · (Edited)
For some color and movement, a small groups of either tetras, rasboras,
small danios, endler's.

Add some some smaller plants & smaller driftwood pieces.

And as for experience, with the exception of parameter specific fish
your tank and fish maintenance will be the same as your goldfish

#6 ·
If you want color and easy fish, livebearers (guppies, mollies, platies, swordtails) are so very easy to keep and make a nice looking tank. You may even get babies. Those were something I started out with and it was a good learning experience

#8 ·
there are a lot of small colorful fish available that are active hardy and easy to maintain. and i agree that species such as tetras , rasboras and danios are great starter fish..also that smaller plants and pieces of driftwood are a good idea as they provide great aesthetics and also help to make the fish feel safe and comfortable..when fish feel safe they will really show off their beautiful colors...

#12 ·
considering that lvebearers are quite prolific , a small tank such as a 10 or 15 gallon could soon be very overcrowded.if one wishes to keep them i would suggest either a male only tank of make sure you have an outlet for the offspring.

#13 ·
The Humu joke was funny but not for a 10g

You could do some dwarf rainbows
You could get a pair or dwarf cichlids or even a trio (1 male, 2 females) of shell dweller cichlids those are always fun

You could do a shrimp tank

Do a biome tank, some small tetras (glow lights, X-rays, etc) and 2-3 Cory cats and live plants

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.