Fish Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...instead of aquarium salt? I have a 29 gallon tank with a green spotted puffer and two white tetras. When I bought them the girl at the fish store told me the aquarium salt should be fine, but I'm having trouble getting the salinity over 1.0005.

Should I switch salt? My puffer doesnt seem to be doing too well and I'm wondering if that is why. All of the levels seem to be fine except that, and the pH, which i read would increase when I got the salt levels up.

The puffer is kind of resting on the bottom, and has been for most of the day. I set the tank up pretty specifically for him, but this is my first tank and I'm nervous he might be sick. There is also something hanging from the bottom of him. I thought at first it was sand stuck to him, but it hasn't gone away and seems more like a string of some sort.

I already lost one puffer to an inadequate tank setup, so I'm really trying hard to make sure this one is okay. Unfortunately I'm leaving in a few days for school, so I have to figure out the problem before I go so I can leave my family with proper instructions to take care of it.

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Yes, use marine salt to make brackish water. It is more complete with minerals fish need and more buffered which makes it more stable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you! I'm going to buy some tomorrow, and also get my water tested at the store in case there is something wrong that my home tests aren't picking up.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Concur with switching to marine salt.

Thinking long term, I'm not sure how compatible green spotted puffers (GSP) are with white tetras.

I'm not sure how compatible white tetras are with brackish water parameters (1.010 SG - 1.015 SG is ideal for GSP's).

Regarding the low salinity reading with using 'aquarium salt' (did you mean to write 1.005 or it it actually at 1.0005?), it's just a simple matter of not enough salt being used.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts